[rpd] IPv4 Resources in exchange for IPv6 milestones

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Jun 20 18:20:52 UTC 2016

> On Jun 17, 2016, at 16:20 , Andrew Alston <Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com> wrote:
>
>> 	A.	Each organization may make one request for IPv4 space so long as they have
>> 		either previously received or simultaneously apply for and receive an
>> 		amount of IPv6 space sufficient to support their organizations 5 year projected
>> 		growth and migration of all existing infrastructure and customers to IPv6.
>
> That’s easy
>

>> 	B.	In order to make a second request, each organization must show that they have
>> 		IPv6 peering established with a minimum of the lesser of 100% of all neighbor
>> 		autonomous systems or two neighbor autonomous systems.
>
> That’s also easy
>

>> 	C.	In order to make a third request, each organization must show that they have
>> 		fully deployed IPv6 throughout their backbone network and that they are now
>> 		capable of transporting IPv6 datagrams to at least one router in each and
>> 		every point of presence, datacenter, or other site where the organization
>> 		conducts operations.
>
> Again, easy
>

>> 	D.	In order to make a fourth request, each organization must sow that they
>> 		have deployed IPv6 on their key infrastructure (mailservers, nameservers,
>> 		web servers, etc.) (Note, this does not include web servers exclusively for
>> 		customer use,but the web servers that serve the pages for the organization
>> 		in question).
>
> A little tougher in some cases but doable
>

>> 	E.	In order to make a fifth request, each organization must show that they
>> 		are providing native IPv6 capabilities to at least 10% of their customer
>> 		base.
>
> Easy – providing you don’t expect the customers to actually be using it because that’s outside of the providers control
>

>> 	F.	In order to make a sixth request, each organization must show that they
>> 		are providing native IPv6 capabilities to at least 50% of their customer
>> 		base.
>
> See above point
>

>> 	G.	In order to make a seventh request, each organization must show that they
>> 		are providing native IPv6 capabilities to their entire customer base.
>
> See above point
>

>> 	H.	In order to make an eighth request, each organization must show that they
>> 		have converted at last 50% of their management and provisioning systems
>> 		to IPv6.
>
> In theory that’s possible
>

>> 	I.	In order to make a nineth or subsequent request, each organization must
>> 		show that the only remaining IPv4 dependencies on their network are related
>> 		to providing IPv4 services to customers and reaching external entities who
>> 		lack IPv6 capabilities.
>
> And here is where it all breaks down.  MPLS networks that heavily rely on martini currently cannot do this, because you can’t do martini over v6.  (Or Kompella for that matter)

OK… How about this…

	I.	In order to make a nineth or subsequent request, each organization must
		show that the only remaining IPv4 dependencies on their network are related
		to providing IPv4 services to customers and reaching external entities who
		lack IPv6 capabilities. An exception to this provision shall be made for
		networks who have an additional IPv4 dependency only on necessary hardware
		for their use of MPLS until 2 years after IETF completes necessary standardization
		or 1 year after vendor availability of the required features to move MPLS on
		to IPv6, whichever comes first.

Would that address your concerns adequately?