[rpd] Statistics on IPV4 allocation in Africa as of 2016

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Jun 20 12:38:01 UTC 2016

On 20/Jun/16 14:27, Fabian Jr wrote:

> i was a new comer at some point way back 2012 ... as a PI
>
> i think i asked IPv4 and ASN ... automatically i got IPv6 (/48)......
> i thought this started long ago!

And I would not want to break this by making IPv6 optional for any new
applications.

> i think what we need to try to figure out and possibly do is to have a
> Guide ready to give to the new comers/applicants to guide them from
> the start on how to do at least a DUAL STACK.... to let them start
> using IPv6 automatically and use IPV4 at the same to allow them
> continue access those resources elsewhere which are still on IPv4.....
> im trying to think of a scenario of showing new users (applicants)
> that it's IPv6 era now.... but we are forced to somehow embed IPv4 in
> order to continue access services still on V4.....

Deployment is out of scope of the RPD. However, AFRINIC do provide IPv6
workshops, where this can be best addressed.

I don't think we should IPv6 allocations optional for anyone. In fact,
I'd support policy that issues IPv6 allocations to all AFRINIC members
as part of their welcome pack. I'd even go as far as asking AFRINIC to
allocate IPv6 to existing members that do not currently have an IPv6
allocation in retrospect.

But circling back, the main talking point here is whether it makes sense
to carve off specific IPv4 space for "new entrants". As I said before,
I'm 50/50 on this, mostly because it's not immediately obvious to me how
a "new entrant" is defined, and how one polices against abuse of the same.

Mark.