[rpd] Statistics on IPV4 allocation in Africa as of 2016

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sun Jun 19 09:09:37 UTC 2016

On 18/Jun/16 20:13, Honest Ornella GANKPA wrote:

> I'm thinking something like this: if you are already a member, you
> prove that you have deployed IPv6 in some capcity in your network and
> you get your IPv4
>
> If you are new member, you can get your initial assignement, but next
> assignements you can show you have deployed IPv6 in some capacity in
> your network

This is where this strategy will completely break down.

Your understanding of "in some capacity" will be very different from
someone else's.

If we try to nail down specifics, the slope gets very slippery.

I see the intent, but I'm really not sure what problem we are actually
trying to solve. Is it to preserve IPv4? Is it to encourage IPv6
adoption? Is it to create "fairness"? Is it get "unused" IPv4 space back
into the pool?

It's starting to get a little complex, I think.

Mark.