[rpd] Statistics on IPV4 allocation in Africa as of 2016

Alan Barrett alan.barrett at afrinic.net
Thu Jun 16 12:23:41 UTC 2016

> On 15 Jun 2016, at 09:55, Badru Ntege <badru.ntege at nftconsult.com> wrote:
> On 15 Jun 2016, at 6:55 am, Andrew Alston <Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com> wrote:
>>
>> Then again, in my book this is all kinda irrelevant, so long as the space is going to people who have legitimate need for it on the continent, from my own personal perspective I don’t care who gets it.  So long as its being used to provide internet to the people in Africa, wherever they are, whoever they are, and not flowing off the continent, it doesn’t matter to me.  We are all one continent, we are all African, and I stand by the view that fair use = let those who need it and can use it, have it.
>
> Can we share the numbers we think might be suspect for example the ones from shell companies.  That might be serving other markets like China etc
>
> Fully agree all resources should remain in the region

AFRINIC does not have any policies that prevent resources from being used outside the AFRINIC service region.  However, the AFRINIC Bylaws section 6.1(i) says “Membership shall be open to any Person who is geographically based within, and providing services in the African region, and who is engaged in the use of, or business of providing, open system protocol network services”.

In the absence of specific policies, AFRINIC registration services staff have been requiring members to have a legal presence in the AFRINIC service region, to have infrastructure in the region from which they originate services (even if customers are outside), and to use the majority of the number resources in the region (even if a significant fraction is used outside the region).

If the community wants to be more explicit about out-of-region use, then you know what to do: make some policies.

Alan Barrett