[rpd] New Proposal - "Internet Number Resources Audit by AFRINIC (AFPUB-2016-GEN-001-DRAFT01)"

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Mon May 23 09:26:40 UTC 2016

I also agree with Tim (and Saul).

Firstly, AFRINIC works on a slow start principal, the first
allocation/assignment is usually small - so there would be little
wastage due to non-growth.

After that, any new application requires a check on previous
applications - that the ISP has reached a certain percentage of
utilisation. I'm aware that when Andrew at Liquid Telecom asked for more
space the Hostmaster folk at AFRINIC really made him work hard, jumping
through loops. I have full trust in the AFRINIC staff. ;-)

If someone stops paying, resources are reclaimed - which satisfies me
with what happens when a Member goes out of business.

I'm not aware that any other RIR has a similar policy - not that we
should not be able to come up with original ideas in our Region - but
this does suggest that its probably not a good idea. They have already
run dry, so would have been able to look at this possibility before now.

The thought that occurs to me is one of re-arranging the deckchairs with
the IPv4 ship already resting on the sea floor. Fun for SCUBA Divers -
but that's about it.

I'd rather hear that ISP's have deployed IPv6, at least on all
externally facing services including all DNS, E-Mail and WEB Services.

I do not believe that anyone who has not yet deployed IPv6 as per above
can morally support this proposal - they have not done their bit.
And if they have, they will realise that this policy adds very little value.

I do not support this Policy.