[rpd] Board Composition

Dewole Ajao [Bandwidth Consortium] dewole at forum.org.ng
Fri May 6 10:17:59 UTC 2016

I noticed the concluding part of the quote from the soft-landing policy
at http://www.afrinic.net/library/policies/697-ipv4-soft-landing-policy
reads "...in a manner that is in the best interest of the community."

When AfriNIC can no longer meet any more requests for address space from
the last /8 pool because the pool is either empty or has no more
contiguous blocks, the board will based on the demand and other factors
at the time exercise the prerogative to replenish the exhaustion pool
from the reserve pool*in a manner that is in the best interest of the
community.*

Given the amount of time we have spent on ambiguous wording in recent
times, we should update policies to be less contentious (whenever we
discover them). It is either we are saying the board shall use its
prerogative to replenish (and end the statement there) OR we say the
community shall use a process XYZ to determine the manner in which the
exhaustion pool shall be replenished in the best interest of the community.

Some more digging reveals that policy update under discussion at
http://www.afrinic.net/en/community/policy-development/policy-proposals/1625-soft-landing-bis-draft-02-
is more explicit about community consultation:
When AFRINIC, can no longer meet any more requests for address space
(from the Final /8 or from any other available address space), AFRINIC
in consultation with the community via the Policy Discussion Mailing
list and considering the demand and other factors at the time replenish
the exhaustion pool with whatever address space (or part thereof) that
may be available to AFRINIC at the time, in a manner that is in the best
interest of the community.

Would be nice if we can tidy this up in Gaborone.

Dewole.