[rpd] New Proposal - "Soft Landing - BIS (AFPUB-2016-V4-001-DRAFT-01)"

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 15:13:35 UTC 2016

Hi Mwendwa,

On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 9:24 AM, Mwendwa Kivuva<Kivuva at transworldafrica.com>
 wrote:

> Thank you PDP Co-chairs and the drafting team for keeping the momentum
> going.

Very useful to have a proposal to talk about.

> I have one observation.
>
> <snip>
> 3.9.1 Assignments to critical infrastructure
>
> A /16 from the final /11 will be held in reserve for exclusive use by
> critical Internet infrastructure. On application for IPv4 resources, a
> critical Internet Infrastructure operator may receive one number
> resource (maximum /22).
>
> Critical infrastructure are ICANN-sanctioned DNS root server
> operators, IXPs, TLD (Top Level Domain) operators, IANA and RIRs.
> </snip>
>
> As per definition of Critical Internet Infrastructure:
> Q1. In this case, why are TLD operators treated differently than other
> business entities?

In the ARIN region, TLD Registry Operators can get a block under the
Critical Infra definition.  We can debate wether or not they are indeed
"critical"  I would tend to want to leave them out of this policy.

Most TLD registry operators employ a back-end Registry Operator (Verisign,
afilias, Neustar, etc).  Do we want these entities to be using AfriNIC IP
space if they aren't using them in Africa?

> DO TLD operators include Registries and Registrars?

Registries yes, Registrars, no (unless a Registry also runs a Registrar,
which is now allowed).

> If it includes Registrars, must the Registrars be ICANN accredited?

see above.

> Q2. So IANA and other RIRs can apply for allocation from this pool?

I would exclude them from this proposal.

> Can we have our own custom definition of Critical Internet Infrastructure?

sure

Regards,

McTim

wrote:

> Thank you PDP Co-chairs and the drafting team for keeping the momentum
> going.
>
> I have one observation.
>
> <snip>
> 3.9.1 Assignments to critical infrastructure
>
> A /16 from the final /11 will be held in reserve for exclusive use by
> critical Internet infrastructure. On application for IPv4 resources, a
> critical Internet Infrastructure operator may receive one number
> resource (maximum /22).
>
> Critical infrastructure are ICANN-sanctioned DNS root server
> operators, IXPs, TLD (Top Level Domain) operators, IANA and RIRs.
> </snip>
>
> As per definition of Critical Internet Infrastructure:
> Q1. In this case, why are TLD operators treated differently than other
> business entities? DO TLD operators include Registries and Registrars?
> If it includes Registrars, must the Registrars be ICANN accredited?
> Q2. So IANA and other RIRs can apply for allocation from this pool?
>
> Can we have our own custom definition of Critical Internet Infrastructure?
>
> Regards
>
> --

Cheers,

McTim