[rpd] New Proposal - "Soft Landing - BIS (AFPUB-2016-V4-001-DRAFT-01)"

Mwendwa Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Tue Feb 9 14:24:27 UTC 2016

Thank you PDP Co-chairs and the drafting team for keeping the momentum going.

I have one observation.

<snip>
3.9.1 Assignments to critical infrastructure

A /16 from the final /11 will be held in reserve for exclusive use by
critical Internet infrastructure. On application for IPv4 resources, a
critical Internet Infrastructure operator may receive one number
resource (maximum /22).

Critical infrastructure are ICANN-sanctioned DNS root server
operators, IXPs, TLD (Top Level Domain) operators, IANA and RIRs.
</snip>

As per definition of Critical Internet Infrastructure:
Q1. In this case, why are TLD operators treated differently than other
business entities? DO TLD operators include Registries and Registrars?
If it includes Registrars, must the Registrars be ICANN accredited?
Q2. So IANA and other RIRs can apply for allocation from this pool?

Can we have our own custom definition of Critical Internet Infrastructure?

Regards