[rpd] Some thoughts, and some actions required

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Thu Feb 4 09:26:30 UTC 2016

I have an issue with limiting transfers to intra-RIR for the following reasons

A.) We all know there is a massive shortage of space in Africa, so who is going to be selling what they need for critical business usage?  No African company with half a braincell would sell space on the continent, because unlike elsewhere in the world, the allocations are already only just what people need
B.) The majority of legacy space and other huge allocations where a lot of the sales could come from exist outside the region, we need access to that

Once we hit phase 2 soft landing, if an african company is dumb enough to sell their space to an outside company, do we care?  The chances are that those resources that they are selling are not being used properly anyway and since they being sold, at least there is money coming back into the continent rather than the IP space sitting dormant.  Though again, I think any African company selling space to outside entities would be completely insane and shooting themselves in the foot, and probably doesn’t deserve to have any IP space anyway.

Let me be blunt, I’ve already started trying to figure out just how much space I may need to get on the secondary market post exhaustion, for planning purposes.  If I’m right, there simply isn’t enough of it in Africa to accomplish this.  I am VIOLENTLY opposed to African companies selling to outside entities, but I am also a realist and believe we may well end up having to buy from outside entities.

Andrew

From  serge ilunga <sergekbk at gmail.com<mailto:sergekbk at gmail.com>>