[rpd] Some thoughts, and some actions required

serge ilunga sergekbk at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 09:02:35 UTC 2016

Hello,

IP-V4 Exhaustion is unavoidable and as a community, we should  handled this
in a way  that we continue to pursue the mission of our community: “Work
for the growth of Internet”.
This growth requires more nodes to be connected and than larger address
space. To cater for this need (large address space), IP V6 has been defined.
There are 2 obvious facts:

   - A transition period is needed to get this protocol widely adopted ( we
   are currently in)
   - Lack of available IPV4 creates the secondary market  as previously
   stated in this thread (this exists already).

According to what has been pointed out here, we as community shall do the
following:
1. Adopt a transfer policy to allow an official access to secondary market
I would  agree to adopt In Region Transfer Policy, and apply a sanction
(Withrawal of transferred ressources) of any form  Inter-RIR transfer that
would be done by a member.
https://www.nro.net/wp-content/uploads/Numbers-SLA-3.0-clean.pdf :
<https://www.nro.net/wp-content/uploads/Numbers-SLA-3.0-clean.pdf>Inter RIR
rejected by LACNIC
<https://www.nro.net/wp-content/uploads/Numbers-SLA-3.0-clean.pdf>
This will allow African Region market to be regulated according to its
environment. The cost of goods on a market depends on the need. Our current
market needs are not the same with other Region and it won't be in our
benefit to open this door.
2. Strengthen allocation requirements: I fully support this.

Kind Regards.

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 12:38 AM, Sander Steffann <sander at steffann.nl> wrote:

> Hi Owen,
>
> > It would be very clean if we defined it as follows:
> >
> > An LIR is an organization which provides addresses (regardless of
> mechanism) to third parties for use on equipment neither owned, nor
> controlled by the LIR.
>
> Be careful with "simple" definitions like that. Anybody who operates i.e.
> a guest-wifi network or who allows employees to bring their own devices
> would be considered an LIR if you write it like that :)  It might work
> better if you write "provides blocks of addresses to third parties" but I'm
> sure there are some edge cases there too.
>
> Anyway, just pointing out that simple definitions often don't work as
> expected in a complicated environment. This thread is discussing much more
> important things!
>
> Andrew made some very important points, and the community needs to decide
> on how to deal with the rapidly approaching run-out. With the current set
> of policies AFRINIC is approaching the exhaustion point *fast*. A conscious
> decision has to be made how to deal with that and whether to do/change
> anything, and there is one chance to do that. Hitting total exhaustion
> without having made a conscious decision as a community would be bad.
>
> Cheers,
> Sander

*Serge ILUNGA KABWIKA*
*Skype: sergekbk*