[rpd] Some thoughts, and some actions required

Mukom Akong T. mukom.tamon at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 06:50:29 UTC 2016

On 4 February 2016 at 02:04, Mwendwa Kivuva <Kivuva at transworldafrica.com>
wrote:

> On 03/02/2016, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>

> > While I did not support the educational policy because I did not believe
> it
> > appropriate to give special privileges to educational institutions to the
> > detriment of other classes of community members, I would support a policy
> > that generally allowed for a reasonable estimation of concurrent wifi
> users
> > based on quantified total user base.
> >

> We are a unique market and probably it would have made sense to pass
> the policy give preference to Universities,...

'Unique' in what way? Uniqueness (even when undefined) should not surpass a
policy requirement: Needs-based assignment.

There were few network engineers who run university networks stood up to
support the proposal - that might have been indicative of something.

Personally, I thought the ratio of 1:5 was excessive GIVEN the paucity of
space available. In the world of abundance that is IPv6 --- I don't care
what ratio is used.

If we really wanted to get to something sensible, I'd measure concurrent
users over say 1 month and a reasonable value would be the mean of
concurrent users + 3 standard deviations. (assuming statistical normality)

> because as it stands, many
> Universities in the continent will remain with NAT post v4 exhaustion.

Is there a list of universities in Africa with those that have their own
space or not? Would anyone from AFREN be able to provide such information?

> Since Universities are not in the business of always scaling and
> getting to new territories as LIRs are, they are just comfortable with
> NAT, to the detriment of growth of proper IP networks.

I'd argue the reverse: Universities as citadels of knowledge are in a
position to try out lots more new technologies before ISPs.

--

Mukom Akong T.

LinkedIn:Mukom <https://www.linkedin.com/in/mukom>  |  twitter:
@perfexcellent

“When you work, you are the FLUTE through whose lungs the whispering of the
hours turns to MUSIC" - Kahlil Gibran