[rpd] Some thoughts, and some actions required

Mwendwa Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Tue Feb 2 22:59:52 UTC 2016

Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com> wrote:

>> My view is simply that the transfers will happen, and we have two options
>>
>> A.) They can happen legitimately under a transfer policy and the whois
databases can be kept accurate with good information in an open and
transparent form

> For the record, my position has always been: legitimate African
organisations should reduce their NAT dependence and get IPv4 allocations.
That's the only way to stem the plundering.

This should be the case Mukom. Probably we should start by people in this
list giving their experience and the challenges they get on changing from
NAT. I remember at the University of Nairobi, all hosts were on private
addresses, but a year before rolling out v6, we acquired enough v4 blocks
from our local RIR (KENET), and ensured all hosts are on public v4. One
challenge is the network has grown since then and we have again run out of
public v4