[rpd] Improving participation of francophone and arab country

Hytham El-Nakhal hytham at tra.gov.eg
Fri Jan 1 08:24:47 UTC 2016

Happy New Year for All :)

Thanks Owen for your positive thoughts, kindly find my comments below:

>1. Translate the most important pages.

Good, let's open this discussion on the community-discuss list to know what are the important pages need to be translated from community point of view. You can take the lead and drop the first email for community on community-discuss at afrinic.net<mailto:community-discuss at afrinic.net>

>2. Have arabic speaking members of the staff contribute translations and have those reviewed by bilingual volunteers from the community for accuracy.

Unfortunately, there is no Arabic speaking member in AFRINIC staff now. If one will be hired in the future, sure he/she can help.

>3. Have staff develop translations and perhaps get accredited review/proofreading/correction of those translations. (I don’t know if this is less expensive or not, but it might be)

For Arabic, I asked for that and the answer was... It'll be the same expense.

>4. Ask the community for if there are accredited translators that might be willing to volunteer their time for the project.

Great thought, combine it with the first thought above, so we need first to know the important pages and then seek for a volunteer accredited translator to translate these important pages..

Thanks,
Haitham

________________________________
There are cheaper alternatives that could probably be considered vs. doing nothing.

1. Translate the most important pages.
2. Have arabic speaking members of the staff contribute translations and have those
reviewed by bilingual volunteers from the community for accuracy.
3. Have staff develop translations and perhaps get accredited review/proofreading/correction of those
translations. (I don’t know if this is less expensive or not, but it might be)
4. Ask the community for if there are accredited translators that might be willing to volunteer their
time for the project.

Just some thoughts.

Owen