[rpd] Improving participation of francophone and arab country

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Thu Dec 31 08:09:48 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-12-31 at 08:49 +0400, Chevalier du Borg wrote:
> thank you for you great analyses!
>

> I started this thread because some member of list were mixing my first
> mail about "ways to measure board performance" with "language barrier
> for francophones"

"Knight" to the rescue (sorry - waiting days to say that :)

> my position
>

> a) there are thousands of french-speaker who ARE NOT ON THIS LIST.
> Some think it because of language barrier. I disagree ... i think they
> don't just care. If they have not even register, how can they claim
> language barrier?

There are probably quite a few people on this list but most remain
quiet. There are "usually suspects" who frequently contribute. Most folk
are sensible and only post when there is actually a policy under
discussion.

As for "thousands", looking at members per country, the average
francophone country has a lot less members per country than other
non-francophone countries. This could explain why there are less French
speakers.

> b) IF there are francophone here who do are unable to participate,
> then as a community (perhaps with some help from afrinic the company)
> we should try to help them.

If I can use (Google) translate to convert French/Arabic to English,
then non-English speakers can do the reverse. I suspect most technical
folk can understand the gist of English conversations here. After all,
this is largely a technical list as Policies usually usually have
technical aspects or implications.

> c) Ultimate policies will remain in English

True - at least, end up in English.

> here is thing we can do
>

> a) afrinic staff can make sure that during meeting ... there are
> printed copy of policy texts (latest version) in english and FRENCH

Members could use google translate.

> b) afrinic staff can provide monthly summaries of policy discussion in
> english and french (even using community help)

Same as (a), there is not much policy being discussed anyway. I think
only Douglas and I have policies under discussion.

> b) any person on this list who is french or portuguese or arabic who
> isn't understanding a contribution can ask "Pls help with translation
> for me"

After they try (a), I'd agree.