[rpd] Gauging concensus for PDWG meetings

Dr Paulos Nyirenda paulos at sdnp.org.mw
Thu Dec 3 09:44:30 UTC 2015

On 3 Dec 2015 at 10:00, Mwendwa Kivuva <Kivuva at transworldafrica.com> wrote:

> There was an interesting debate yesterday at the floor of the Policy discussion
> meeting on how the co-chairs should phrase questions when gauging consensus for
> policies. There were those who felt that the co-chairs did not ask the right questions
> which would help the policy author determine the actions needed to take the policy
> forward.
>
> Is there a standard way to phrase consensus questions or are the co-chairs required to
> use their experience and discretion?

There is no standard way and the AFRINIC PDP does not define any such standard, I think it
should not. Gauging consensus is a debate that takes place very often among PDP
Co-chairs and it should.

It needs to be realised that the Co-chairs do not have to ask questions to gauge consensous.

In the past few sessions of of AFRINIC policy sessions, Co-chairs have badly tended to take
what has been looked at as a vote including a show of hands. Consensus on the PDP is not
a vote - should not be a vote - and indeed such assessment has led to unnecessary
complication on various policy drafts in the AFRINIC policy process.

Consensus determination by Co-chairs needs to be authoritative, so authoritative in fact that
the PDP lays out an appeal, complaint or Co-chair recall process if any member of the
PDWG makes a successful challenge of the decision by the Co-chairs.

And by the way, Co-chairs do not report to the Board at any time or process including tenure
except when a policy has reached maturity through the PDP for approval by the Board.

Regards,

Paulos
Dr Paulos B Nyirenda
NIC.MW & .mw ccTLD