[rpd] New Proposal - "Number Resources Transfer Policy (AFPUB-2015-GEN-001-DRAFT-01)"

Le Borg virtual.borg at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 04:35:43 UTC 2015

On 3 November 2015 at 21:15, Mark Elkins <mje at posix.co.za> wrote:
> On Tue, 2015-11-03 at 08:27 -0500, Owen DeLong wrote:

>> > 1.0 Summary of the Problem Being Addressed by this Policy Proposal:
>> >
>> > AFRINIC is the only Regional Internet Registry without a Transfer
>> > policy for the movement of numbering resources - both in and out of
>> > the Region. APNIC, RIPE NCC and ARIN have compatible Transfer
>> > Policies, so it would seem wise to be compatible with them.
>> >

>> This is not true… There are 5 regions and LACNIC also has no such
>> policy at this time, though a couple of proposals have been discussed
>> there without consensus so far.
>
> OK - fair comment.
> AFRINIC is the only Regional Internet Registry without a Transfer policy
> either in place or being discussed.

The fact a policy don't exist is not in itself a statement of the
problem. Beside, should this proposal pass, your text above will look
'funny' in it.

>> It is not clear to me that a lack of such a policy is in and of itself
>> a problem or that such compatibility is necessarily in the interests
>> of the AfriNIC region as a whole.

+1

> I believe it is in the interests of African Companies that wish to
> expand out of the AFRINIC Region - by transferring their own space to
> themselves in other Regions.

What percent of african companies fall into this category? Should
policy address the issues of the 99% or the 1%. I believe this is a
policy for the 1% and not in the best interests of this continent.

For these to be credible problem, it would be good to get indication
of percentage of members that have this problem.

>> This proposal is, essentially, a combination of ARIN NRPM 8.3 and 8.4
>> and as near as I can tell implements nearly identical effective
>> policy.

Effective always exist in context. Effective in Europe/America !=
Effective in Africa. How did you evaluate effective of this other
policy in other RIR?

--
Borg le Chevalier