[rpd] Fwd: [NRO-IANAXFER] ICANN Statement re IANA Intellectual Property (IPR)

Ernest ernest at afrinic.net
Mon Aug 17 08:06:26 UTC 2015

FYI.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: [NRO-IANAXFER] ICANN Statement re IANA Intellectual
Property (IPR)
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2015 12:37:29 -0400
From: Steve Crocker <steve.crocker at icann.org>
To: ianaplan at ietf.org, cwg-stewardship at icann.org, ianaxfer at nro.net
CC: Steve Crocker <steve.crocker at icann.org>

The following is our formal statement on the IANA IPR.  We will post
this on our website ASAP.

Steve Crocker
On behalf of the ICANN Board of Directors

ICANN Statement re IANA Intellectual Property (IPR)

We support the ICG proposal and the underlying proposals from CWG,
CRISP and IANAPLAN.  The ICANN Board is focused on how to implement
the IPR component of the proposal.  The ICANN Board believes that
for stability and pragmatic operational reasons, the IANA Functions
Operator must have operational control over the IANA.ORG
<http://iana.org/> domain.  During the transition, ICANN is prepared
to transfer full ownership of the IANA-related trademarks to a
neutral third party mutually agreed among the operational
communities with the understanding that ICANN, as the current IANA
Functions Operator, will be granted license to those trademarks and
ICANN will maintain operational control of the IANA.ORG
<http://iana.org/> domain for as long as ICANN remains the IANA
Functions Operator.  If the transfer during the transition affects
the timeline, we advise delay until after the transition.  In that
event ICANN is ready to hold the IPR as interim measure but commits
to transfer it within 120 days after the neutral third party is
identified by the operational communities.

We believe this is neutral and in the public interest. We look
forward to hearing anyone in the community.