[rpd] AfriNIC Board Update - July 2015

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 08:55:19 UTC 2015

Dear Chair,

Kindly find my comments inline:

> * A. Audited Accounts The Auditors have sent a revised report to the Audit
> Committee of the Board. The committee is processing this document
> internally, and will report to the Board shortly. *

You mentioned "Audit Committee" can you confirm that the committee refereed
is same as what is on the information on the AFRINIC website:
http://afrinic.net/en/about-us/our-structure/bod

If not, can that information be updated ASAP and not just for the audit
committee but for other committee as well.

> * Barring any unforeseen circumstance, The report will be delivered to the
> community according to the time-line approved by members at the AGMM in
> Tunis. The Board is working towards the end of September.*

Could you kindly provide the url where that timeline is documented so we
are sure we are on the same page.

> * B. Pending Minutes of Board Meetings Recall that over 12 Board meetings
> took place within a short length of time, which overwhelmed the Staff that
> supports the Board.*

During the last AGMM, i was one of the individual that found it overly
strange that the board has been operating without minutes for at least the
last 12 months. Without dwelling on the past, may i suggest that board
consider putting on hold any further meetings unless they can produce the
immediate past meeting minutes. This means that if board would meet next
month, the minutes of last month must have been published (since board is
expected to approve last minutes at next meeting).

Secondly, may i suggest that AFRINIC website relating to board be further
improved in a manner similar to the PDWG. Its really difficult getting
around information relating to board on that website. For instance it below
is the url to minutes of the PDWG

http://afrinic.net/en/library/policies/285-public-policy-meetings-minutes

Note that from that url, there are other important links relating to PDP.
It may be good to have something like that for board as well.

> *I here appeal to the community to give us till the end of August 2015 to
> complete this important task.  *

Thanks for providing specific timeline. May i know whether the
recommendation provided to board by staff also includes avoiding backlogs
of minutes in future?

> * C. The Andrew Alston's Integrity Issue The Board, at its meeting of 29th
> June 2015 examined the integrity issue raised during the Tunis AGMM.
> Whereas there was an allegation that Andrew Alston paid members to vote for
> him onto the Board, After hearing all parties concerned and noting the
> public statements thereon from the floor of the Tunis AGMM,  the Board
> resolved that there was no evidence of substance to institute disciplinary
> action against Andrew Alston. The matter stands closed.*

Noted but i hope all these will be in the minutes as well and most
importantly documentation of all the statement that helped the board come
to a conclusion.

> * D. Governance Committee The Board has initiated discussions on the setup
> of the Governance Committee, and has constituted a three-member work group
> to draft the Structure and Terms of Reference for this committee.*

Thanks for this important update, do you mind providing the list of the
committee members. Secondly may we have a specific TOR/Charter of this
committee including their timeline of operation.

> *  This document will later be processed by the larger Board, and then
> shared with the community for comments and additional input.  Thereafter,
> the Board will finalise the Structure and TOR.  After approval of these
> documents by the community, the Governance Committee will begin operating.*

Thanks for indicating the milestones but the timeline will be really
helpful in connecting the dots.

Regards

<http://goog_1872880453>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng
<seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng>*