[rpd] Privacy breach of nomcom2015's Mailing List

Sunday Folayan sunday.folayan at afrinic.net
Tue Jun 2 23:57:12 UTC 2015

Dear Members,

The Board has received the report that the AFRINIC nomcom2015 mailing
list was breached. Anyone could have subscribed to the list and then
gained access to the archives. The problem must have existed since the
creation of the list and was only corrected in the afternoon of Tuesday
2nd June 2015.

There is a confirmed report that this hole was indeed exploited, and a
dump of the archive is now circulating in the community. This is an
unacceptable conduct that must be condemned.

I have requested the CEO to launch an investigation into the
circumstances that led to the breach, as well as necessary remedial
actions. We will expect a report on this.

We all desire transparency, but it must be done in an ethical manner. If
this is an attempt to undermine the on-going election process, we must
work to eliminate this kind of behaviour in the community.

Sincerely,

Sunday Adekunle Folayan
Board Chair.