[rpd] Re: [afnog] What are the major challenges in enabling Services to run on IPv6?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Oct 28 06:18:29 UTC 2014

On Tuesday, October 28, 2014 07:05:33 AM Andrew Alston
wrote:

> That challenge also prevents a
> lot of providers from actually putting in the effort
> (and sometimes expense) of rolling IPv6 all the way to
> the edge with a lack of demand.  Its kinda a chicken and
> egg situation for many, no IPv6 at the edge decreases
> the number of people running IPv6, we decreases the
> demand for IPv6, which decreases the motivation to roll
> IPv6 to the edge.

I'm still reasonably disappointed in the lack of drive from
retail providers to offer IPv6 to their customers, i.e., the
broadband/consumer space.

Granted, it is a lot more challenging to deliver IPv6 to
large scale consumers (more so in Africa, where a lot of
consumers are running data off the mobile networks).

But I think that deployment of IPv6 toward end customers in
a manner where they do not have to directly participate in
the process is where we shall see the most gains.

The old mantra still holds true - users don't care, as long
as it works.

Mark.