[rpd] New proposal - "Out-Of-Region Use of AFRINIC Internet Number Resources" (AFPUB-2014-GEN-002-DRAFT-01)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Jul 11 16:09:05 UTC 2014

>>  IMHO, I don’t support this policy even a bit since it doesn't even take into consideration the operational reality on the ground. Besides, hardly 20% of the resources obtained from Afrinic are used outside Africa by entities registering in Africa with operations in Africa mainly for infrastructure seated outside Africa....
>
>  use in other regions through a rather interesting VPN-based dodge to the policy.
>

> How many would go that far, lets be realistic....

The address situation is not yet desperate and there are at least three companies already pursuing this strategy.

I believe across all regions at least a /12 (and likely closer to a /9) has been consumed by users of this strategy to date.

Is it really so hard to think that 3 /8s could get consumed in this way? Realistically, I think it would go well beyond that if there were more than 3 /8s left to consume.

That is me being realistic. That is the current reality on the ground.

>> Naked truth, the biggest market for IP now is in Africa and she continues to develop her Internet!!!!
>
> Naked truth, bigger or smaller doesn't matter. There's enough demand and enough money in the other regions to bleed Africa's IPv4 number resources dry rather quickly.
>

> That is besides the point and folks at AfriNIC are not sleeping, they work!!!....This resources shall be used here and by operators in Africa to expand both within and outside.

Let’s hope so, but absent this proposal or something similar, I think you will only get a small fraction of those resources because the rest will go to out-of-region organizations that are pretending to be in region.

>> So if this policy is for restricting number resource usage to a certain % outside Africa, then where exactly are you going to use them v4 IP's, In Europe, North America, Asia, where the internet is already developed and folks are already getting used to v6, not a chance.
>
> You bet. Address consumption and trading is continuing in those regions and the internet continues to grow in those regions. Used to IPv6? I wish. Progress is being made, but it's still nowhere near where it needs to be.
>

> There is somewhat compelling evidence vs our region....that is not nothing...Facebook, Google are a good example, end users always catch up since they dont run the network, they consume the service...

Look at the URLs below. Yes, there is compelling evidence. I think you know I am one of the strongest IPv6 proponents out there. End users aren’t the ones playing catch up. Yes, Facebook, Google, Yahoo, Netflix and some others are good examples of organizations that have deployed IPv6. However, of the Alexa 500, only 16% have IPv6. Even in the top 20 web sites, it’s less than 50%.

The numbers for the Fortune 500 are even worse. Of the Fortune500 web sites tested, less than 3% have IPv6.

Yes, IPv6 deployment is progressing everywhere, but by no means has it yet become anywhere near the lingua franca of the internet. Not even in the regions where you claimed folks are “already getting used to v6”.

IPv4 demand remains strong in all regions, even the ones that don’t have any numbers left.