[rpd] New proposal - "Out-Of-Region Use of AFRINIC Internet Number Resources" (AFPUB-2014-GEN-002-DRAFT-01)

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri Jul 11 08:26:29 UTC 2014

On Friday, July 11, 2014 01:17:15 AM Owen DeLong wrote:

> If we're strictly talking about peering infrastructure,
> then, as a matter of fact, you can obtain a /22 from
> RIPE and a /22 from APNIC for that purpose and I believe
> that would more than cover most such needs. Especially
> since peering at IXPs usually involves obtaining the IXP
> address from the IXP itself and doesn't consume your
> resources.

As this appears to be concern, it might be useful to have
language in the policy that provides a reasonable
distinction between address space used for numbering devices
vs. address space used for provisioning customers.

In many markets, expansion into new territories (not covered
by the provider's home service region) may not necessarily
infer anything beyond mere backbone expansion, i.e., selling
to customers located out-of-region may be atypical. How long
this remains the case I can't say, as I can't read the
future.

Whether the policy allows for this (which, in my view, might
be nit-picking, but hey...) or not, perhaps it is something
worth thinking about, as, obviously, it is a concern for
some of the membership.

Mark.