[rpd] New proposal - "Out-Of-Region Use of AFRINIC Internet Number Resources" (AFPUB-2014-GEN-002-DRAFT-01)

Douglas Onyango ondouglas at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 08:02:22 UTC 2014

Hi Omo,
On 9 July 2014 04:14, Omo Oaiya <omo at wacren.net> wrote:
> What are Out-Of-Region requests and how many have occurred and at what
> frequency?

The RIR system was built on the principle of decentralizing
administration of Internet number resources. This means each RIR is
expected to operate within the boundaries of the regions they serve.
Against this backdrop when space from one RIR is used Outside of that
RIR [Out-of-region], it is generally considered to be at odds with
this general principle. There are multiple exceptions/intricacies with
this principle, but I hope you get the general point.

Because of the many exceptions, and other reasons, I can't begin to
quantify how many. I hope AFRINIC will have a better answer.

> Is there any evidence of this?  If there is, what is the current procedure
> for such

Perhaps staff can provide a more authoritative answer to this.

> Would this require every request to state % of out-of-region usage and show
> it in network?

Staff is again better placed to response to this as they will be
responsible for the implementation/enforcement.

> Is there any precedence of such a policy at any of the other RIRs?
I know that a draft was introduced in ARIN in Jan and is currently
under discussion.

> Is this going to create an issue of RIRs competing with each other globally?

Complex question. All I can say is that this Policy will formalize and
draw the rules for a game that is already in play...