[rpd] New proposal - "Out-Of-Region Use of AFRINIC Internet Number Resources" (AFPUB-2014-GEN-002-DRAFT-01)

Omo Oaiya omo at wacren.net
Wed Jul 9 03:14:47 UTC 2014

Hi Douglas / members

On 4 July 2014 15:55, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear members,
>
> We have received a new policy Proposal - "Out-Of-Region Use of AFRINIC
> Internet Number Resources" (AFPUB-2014-GEN-002-DRAFT-01)
>
> Draft Policy name: Out-Of-Region Use of AFRINIC Internet Number Resources
> Unique identifier: AFPUB-2014-GEN-002-DRAFT-01
> Author: Douglas Onyango
> Short url: http://goo.gl/L6exj7
>
> Text Below:
>
> 1) Summary of the Problem Being Addressed by this Policy Proposal
>
> Currently, AFRINIC policies do not explicitly allow or disallow
> Out-Of-Region use of Internet number resources. This silence on an
> important facet of number resource management jeopardizes administration by
> leaving staff to arbitrarily decide how to handle Out-Of-Region requests.

I sought clarity on this in Djibouti and got fobbed off in my opinion but
another opportunity for some answers here.

What are Out-Of-Region requests and how many have occurred and at what
frequency?

> The imminent exhaustion of IPv4 aggravates the situation because it is
> anticipated that organizations from other regions will have more incentive
> to exploit this and any other loophole in AFRINIC polices to acquire
> resources for sale or use outside the region - a practice that is not in
> AFRINIC's best interests.

Is there any evidence of this?  If there is, what is the current procedure
for such

> 2) Summary of How this Proposal Addresses the Problem
>
> This policy allows up to 40% of Internet number resources in use by a
> member to be outside the region. It also tries to be a disincentive for
> organizations from other regions that want to acquire resources from
> AFRINIC for use in ways that are not in line with AFRINIC's best interests.

Would this require every request to state % of out-of-region usage and show
it in network?

> For the avoidance of doubt, the author does not seek to prolong the
> lifespan of IPv4 with this proposal but rather, to ensure that number
> resources allocated/assigned by AFRINIC are used by legitimate members from
> the service region to support their network operations, regardless of
> physical location.

Is there any precedence of such a policy at any of the other RIRs?

Is this going to create an issue of RIRs competing with each other globally?

Best wishes

- Omo