[rpd] New proposal - "Out-Of-Region Use of AFRINIC Internet Number Resources" (AFPUB-2014-GEN-002-DRAFT-01)

Frank Habicht geier at geier.ne.tz
Sun Jul 6 09:24:18 UTC 2014

Hello,

I like the intention, the proposal, and thank Douglas for drafting it.
I like the number 40. And I think if we start discussing this number we
will never stop discussing the number - what about 34.5% as a compromise?   ;-)

"AFRINIC's best interests" is mentioned but I think there are quite diverse
interpretations for this. (and I believe it shouldn't be
"Africa's best interest", because there are even more)

I'd also like to see an impact assessment from AfriNIC staff, at least
weeks before the next policy meeting.

I think it's true that policing it will never work 100%.
But that's probably also true for other policies. And with life in general.

About
> f. This policy shall apply to past, present and future
> allocations/assignments made by AFRINIC.
past allocations are done, without this condition, and might be used with
more than 40% of IPs outside the AfriNIC service region.
In my opinion it can and should apply to new allocations/assignments and
include (as is intended I am sure) all past allocations/assignments from
AfriNIC in the calculations (am sure can't include legacy space if used
outside - does anyone think is should include legacy space if used inside
Africa?) does it need more word in b. for that?

"present allocations/assignments" -- I think there'll be only a handful in
the queue when the board ratifies, so I would prefer
"... apply to all allocations/assignments made after ratification of this
policy by the board."
(but we clarify whether old ones will be counted)

Regards,
Frank