[rpd] A typical conversation with a service provider on v6

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Jun 16 10:07:05 UTC 2014

On Monday, June 16, 2014 10:46:14 AM Adam Nelson wrote:

> Mark,
>
> There are three uplinks in our building over which about
> 6 ISPs operate.  I get asked all the time which ones are
> 'best' and which one somebody should use.  I'd like to
> be able to make IPv6 part of that recommendation but I
> can't because there's no resource to tell me.

Adam, perhaps this is an opportunity to create and market
such a database.

We have seen data from SixXS and HE's BGP Toolkit. Renesys
(or are they now called Dyn) is a good resource but is not
free. But maybe these sources do not currently satisfy you,
and others.

The data on HE's BGP Toolkit will tell you which ISP's are
registered with AFRINIC, and by that extension, which ISP's
are available in which countries. There is some margin of
error as registered country can differ from operating
country, but it's a good place to start. If you can use that
data to create a database, it will be easy to fill in the
gaps once you have something going.

I'm happy to support you personally and professionally in
this. Just let me know how.

Mark.