[rpd] Implementation of Global Policy for Post Exhaustion IPV4 Allocation Mechanism

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 15:39:42 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 4:21 PM, Douglas Onyango <ondouglas at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Seun,
> On 24 February 2014 15:26, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:
> > community. I think by option A, it will mean line 2 and 3 on the policy
> (in
> > bold below) will be 'somewhat' invalid. So in the name of ''sticking to
> the
> > entire guideline'' i go for option 2 as per Fiona's mail
> >> Allocations from the IANA may begin once the pool is declared active.
> >> In each "IPv4 allocation period", each RIR will receive a single "IPv4
> >> allocation unit" from the IANA.
> >> An "IPv4 allocation period" is defined as a 6-month period following 1
> >> March or 1 September in each year.
>
> I don't think I see how any of these two are invalided by going with
> option A; Infact all i can see is the first paragraph saying either A,
> or B is fine, and a conspicuously missing clause to link the pool
> activation  to the allocation period.

I think i do, to make it simpler; option A says start allocation now,
option B says wait until 'allocation period' pasting the 3 important lines
below:

   - Allocations from the IANA may begin once the pool is declared active.
   - In each "IPv4 allocation period", each RIR will receive a single
"IPv4allocation unit" from the
   IANA.
   - An "IPv4 allocation period" is defined as a 6-month period following 1
   March or 1 September in each year.

Line one says allocation may begin immediately....with a 'but' and the but
is that it should follow the 'allocation period' which is covered in line 2
and 3. So tell me, if the allocation starts immediately how then does line
2 and 3 feature in the whole distribution?

> Me thinks we wouldn't be
> debating if the authors :-) had included this.
>
> Well me thinks we are having this discussion just to perhaps to get enough
justification from the community to close eye on line 2 and 3 ;)

Cheers!

<http://goog_1872880453>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng
<seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng>*