Fwd: [rpd] Implementation of Global Policy for Post Exhaustion IPV4 Allocation Mechanism

Douglas Onyango ondouglas at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 13:41:32 UTC 2014

Hello Fiona,
The original intent of the authors aside, the statement: "Allocations
from the IANA may begin once the pool is declared active." appears to
in principle accommodate immediately allocation as well as an
alignment with the allocation periods --- (option A & B).
For this reasons, I will concentrate my contribution around which
option is better for us as a community rather than dwell on which one
is correct.

Now considering that
1. Option A is a one-time after which all subsequent allocations
should be aligned with the "allocation period"
2. I don't see any logical reason why I would want RIR xxx with less
than a /9 to wait for the "Allocation period" for resource allocation
3. It is unlikely that AFRINIC will be the first RIR to have less than
a /9 (unlikely to suffer from the wait in B)

My view for AFRINIC is neutral, but my global view is in support of option A