[AFRINIC-rpd] Commencement of the last call

Badru Ntege ntegeb at one2net.co.ug
Wed Jun 26 10:54:34 UTC 2013

:-) hi Noah

On Jun 26, 2013, at 12:52 PM, Maina Noah <mainanoa at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 26 June 2013 12:32, Badru Ntege <ntegeb at one2net.co.ug> wrote:
> Thanks Alan
>
> You see there has been a claim that current policies will allow for Afrinic resources to be taken of the continent and thus bringing this policy in will keep the resources on the continent.
>
> Hi Badru and all,
>
> Can we get a clear definition of  OFF-THE-CONTINENT  because i have productions boxes seated in London and other parts of Europe using my AfriNIC allocated blocks as an LIR for our business. Tomorrow i may expand into Asia over my global MPLS network and still use the same addresses without a need to apply for a different assignment from APNIC.
>
> So what is OFF-THE-CONTINENT? Kindly educate me please?
in deed a good question.  Let me leave it for someone else to clarify.

But the issue that was being used by the authors of the current proposal is that AfriNIC is the last port of call with IPv4 resources.  And Thus organizations from other regions US, Asia , Europe etc will come to the continent, register a shelf company, acquire resources they need in the US and take them to the US thus denying AfriNIC region potential users.  So advocating for a policy that changes all the rules of justification from a needs based on network infrastructure to a needs based on registered students.

is the context in which off the continent is being used in this discussion.  They will definable be valid reasons for resources to be used off the continent./region