[AFRINIC-rpd] AFRINIC Response to Government Calls for an Arab RIR

Adiel Akplogan adiel at afrinic.net
Thu Feb 28 12:11:01 UTC 2013

Hello Jackson and all,

On 2013-02-28, at 14:50 PM, Jackson Muthili <jacksonmuthi at gmail.com> wrote:
> You write
>
>> Form a new RIR, and with AfriNIC's current burn rate, it is ENTIRELY
>> possible that IANA could be lobbied to take space from AfriNIC and give it
>> to the new RIR considering our burn rates.
>
> This is possible?? Someone at IAINA can explain how?

On this particular aspect, let me maybe give some clarifications:

a) There is no policy that allow IANA to claim space back to be
redistributed in any way beside a voluntary return.

b) Further to the above, if you look at

http://www.afrinic.net/en/services/statistics/ipv4-exhaustion

you will notice that the only full and untouched /8 that AFRINIC has
is 102/8. The management of that prefix is however already defined
by the Soft Landing policy as last /8. Beside that, AFRINIC has no
other full /8 to possibly handover. Most of the other free spaces we
have are from the currently used 105/8 and fragments from from
inherited legacy 196/8 and 154/8.

Thanks.

- a.