[AFRINIC-rpd] AFRINIC Response to Government Calls for an Arab RIR

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 20:24:13 UTC 2013

All,

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 1:16 PM, David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> wrote:

> Nii,
>
> On Feb 27, 2013, at 9:36 AM, Nii Narku Quaynor <quaynor at ghana.com> wrote:
> > On Feb 27, 2013, at 17:25, David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> wrote:
> >
> >> What I believe actually matters is whether there is an "area of
> continental size" (which MENA would likely qualify) that meets the
> principles laid out in ICP-2.
> > ...we are looking for the 'continental' part which we don't see
>
> I suppose it depends on what would be included in the new RIR region of
> coverage, e.g.,
> according to
> http://www.arabic-studies.com/english/learn_arabic/arabworld.asp, Arabic
> speaking countries cover an area of 12.9 million square kilometers.
>  According to http://www.worldatlas.com/aatlas/infopage/contnent.htm,
> this is larger than the continents of Europe and Australia/Oceania.

and Africa is bigger than the USA, China, India, and Eastern Europe put
together : http://infobeautiful2.s3.amazonaws.com/true_size_of_africa.png

and the former soviet Union which is covered by RIPEland was 22M sq. Kms.

it's not the size of the region, it's the continental-ness which Nii and I
are looking for.

I think that both you and Steve are correct in that there won't be a
consensus from the MENA region on this and that it is driven by global ITU
geo-politics.

I'd be happy to entertain the idea if there was a groundswell of ISPs from
those economies voicing their desires at both RIPE and AfriNIC meetings.

However there is no groundswell, only vague governmental hinting, which we
should oppose with facts.  To that end, I think the first procedural
barrier should be the continental one, with the others you have mentioned
as our "ace in the hole".

--
Cheers,

McTim