[AFRINIC-rpd] AFRINIC Response to Government Calls for an Arab RIR

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Wed Feb 27 18:16:50 UTC 2013

Nii,

On Feb 27, 2013, at 9:36 AM, Nii Narku Quaynor <quaynor at ghana.com> wrote:
> On Feb 27, 2013, at 17:25, David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> wrote:
>
>> What I believe actually matters is whether there is an "area of continental size" (which MENA would likely qualify) that meets the principles laid out in ICP-2.
> ...we are looking for the 'continental' part which we don't see

I suppose it depends on what would be included in the new RIR region of coverage, e.g.,
according to http://www.arabic-studies.com/english/learn_arabic/arabworld.asp, Arabic speaking countries cover an area of 12.9 million square kilometers.  According to http://www.worldatlas.com/aatlas/infopage/contnent.htm, this is larger than the continents of Europe and Australia/Oceania.

However, I don't think this should be relevant. The issue is whether or not there is a large consensus within the region in question (however you want to define it) that a new RIR is necessary.  I personally don't think such a consensus exists, rather I suspect there is a relatively small number of non-ISP folks who think this is a way to gain greater control.  When the other requirements of establishing an RIR are fully understood (e.g., #3, 4, 5, 6 of ICP-2), I suspect they'll see the ITU model doesn't actually apply.

Regards,
-drc