[AFRINIC-rpd] Academic IPv4 Allocation Policy Second Draft (AFPUB-2013-GEN-001-DRAFT-02)

Maina Noah mainanoa at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 07:02:37 UTC 2013

On 27 January 2013 22:19, Saul Stein <saul at enetworks.co.za> wrote:

> AfriNIC serves Africa to say
>         So question is we want to give the IP's to the university for
> academic reasons.  The two phones are provided by a commercial network
> operator who already has        IP's.  Why is the university wanting to get
> involved here.   Then at the same time the university will ask for
> concessions.
> Is concerning.
>
> Hi Saun,

Some of the smart-phones role back to a wifi network from the GSM/3G
network of the telecoms hence the need for IP's in this case. Some students
might not afford to pay for a 3G bundle from their commercial phone
operator thus would find the Campus wifi as the cheaper option. Its also
become a norm that whenever someone with a  "photabtop" is in a close wifi
range, they would prefer switching to those faster WLAN speeds than stick
to the edge/3g networks IMHO, hence the argument.

Cheers,

Maina Noah