[AFRINIC-rpd] Academic IPv4 Allocation Policy Second Draft (AFPUB-2013-GEN-001-DRAFT-02)

Saul Stein saul at enetworks.co.za
Sun Jan 27 19:19:31 UTC 2013

I haven’t been following this that closely, however, I am concerned about
some comments being made:
Firstly if this discussion was taking place 1-2 years ago, the thought of 3
IPs per student would have been far-fetched and fully workable since all
these xPads and smartphones didn’t exist.

AfriNIC serves Africa to say
	So question is we want to give the IP's to the university for
academic reasons.  The two phones are provided by a commercial network
operator who already has 	IP's.  Why is the university wanting to get
involved here.   Then at the same time the university will ask for
concessions.
Is concerning.

Africa has the some of the highest mobile (voice and data) costs in the
world. If the universities can provide cheaper data for the students while
on campus, then we should not be hindering the educational growth of the
students. People that are connected to the internet are able to learn and
develop at a higher rate. UNivercities can facilitate this.

Not to provide resourses for the sake of conserving them, since we have them
makes no sense at all.

Just my 2c
.