[AFRINIC-rpd] Academic IPv4 Allocation Policy Second Draft (AFPUB-2013-GEN-001-DRAFT-02)

Andrew Alston alston.networks at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 18:48:40 UTC 2013

Hi Badru,

> The policy could then also cater somehow to an easy transition from 1:3 to
1:5 if the original resource has been utilized.

I would have no objection to a transition on demonstration.  However, there
is a catch here, and it is one I ran into before (I offered AfriNIC a
similar compromise like this once before).  If that transition states that
the ticket is kept open and if the ratio is proved to be insufficient within
X period, the block is expanded to a larger boundary *without further
application fees*, I would support it.  If however, we are saying, allocate
on X ratio, and if its found to be insufficient, make the organization pay
all over again, then, I have issues.

So what you are proposing is workable, but it comes down to a finance issue,
and I am not sure that we can necessarily address that within policy (even
though it is not directly fee related), it may be outside of the mandate of
the PDP.

Andrew