[AFRINIC-rpd] Academic IPv4 Allocation Policy Second Draft (AFPUB-2013-GEN-001-DRAFT-02)

SM sm at resistor.net
Sat Jan 26 11:05:16 UTC 2013

Hi andrew,
At 02:17 26-01-2013, Andrew Alston wrote:
>So, in answer to question (a), no, the non-utilization problem will resolve
>itself shortly, and furthermore, there is no actual practical way to audit
>this anyway and (b) no, that is something that will happen over the course
>of time.
>
>Look, I had a long discussion last night telephonically with Nii about this,
>and I would love to see a situation where a University could specify a ratio
>they *needed* up to a maximum of X, so if we said a university can turn
>around and say we need a ratio of 3:1, whereas another can say we need 5:1,
>both are <= 5, both are accepted by AfriNIC on face value, I would accept
>this.  However, AfriNIC would then need to commit to accepting these values
>at face value argument and back and forth.  Otherwise, we need the fixed
>ratio in policy to avoid the same issues we are currently having.
>
>Currently the policy sets a minimum of 5, higher can be justified.  I would
>be happy to say any ratio below or equal to 5 is accepted de-facto based on
>institutional statement, anything above 5 requires further justification
>that can be investigated.  Would this suffice?

In terms of PDP I am neutral on the proposal.  I personally do not
mind what the ratio is.

Please note that the text below is not input for policy
development.  I prefer if the Working Groups do not quote it in any
summaries about the proposal.

I have not seen any study on this mailing list about the ratio.  If
it was my personal decision I would not consider a statement from
you, Owen, Frank, Sunday, AfriNIC (the company) as a convincing
argument.  The reason should be clear enough.

Regards,
-sm