[AFRINIC-rpd] Academic IPv4 Allocation Policy Second Draft (AFPUB-2013-GEN-001-DRAFT-02)

Andrew Alston alston.networks at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 10:17:00 UTC 2013

Hi SM,

We have discussed within AfriNIC at various times over the years holding
onto our space so that it will be available as we develop.  The same applies
to Universities.  I would argue that any University with 10 thousand
students to remain competitive will upgrade their infrastructure, and that's
happening at a drastically accelerated rate, because the internet
infrastructure on university campuses is becoming critical to the academic
experience (as stated by Guy Halse).

Furthermore, since it is fast becoming cheaper for a University to upgrade
its infrastructure to support such access than to deliver content via more
traditional methods, the progression of infrastructure is a natural thing.
I point at an example of a small University in South Africa that is
predominantly rural, and actually generally runs very close to the red in
financial terms.  Because of a need to drive down costs and provide better
access, they, even in their financial position, realized it was prudent to
do massive upgrades, and went and sourced the money to do so.  The
Universities may not upgrade at the same rate, but within the next 3 years,
because of the criticality of online resources to teaching and academia,
wifi network infrastructure to allow students to access things *will* be
common place in my opinion.

So, in answer to question (a), no, the non-utilization problem will resolve
itself shortly, and furthermore, there is no actual practical way to audit
this anyway and (b) no, that is something that will happen over the course
of time.

Look, I had a long discussion last night telephonically with Nii about this,
and I would love to see a situation where a University could specify a ratio
they *needed* up to a maximum of X, so if we said a university can turn
around and say we need a ratio of 3:1, whereas another can say we need 5:1,
both are <= 5, both are accepted by AfriNIC on face value, I would accept
this.  However, AfriNIC would then need to commit to accepting these values
at face value argument and back and forth.  Otherwise, we need the fixed
ratio in policy to avoid the same issues we are currently having.

Currently the policy sets a minimum of 5, higher can be justified.  I would
be happy to say any ratio below or equal to 5 is accepted de-facto based on
institutional statement, anything above 5 requires further justification
that can be investigated.  Would this suffice?

Andrew