[AFRINIC-rpd] Academic IPv4 Allocation Policy Second Draft (AFPUB-2013-GEN-001-DRAFT-02)

SM sm at resistor.net
Sat Jan 26 09:07:26 UTC 2013

Hi Badru,
At 20:18 25-01-2013, Badru Ntege wrote:
>The statistics are showing the demand for the urban institutions
>with the financial resources to build a network that can support
>this demand and thus the need to have an idea of the network.  But
>out in the real world not all academic institutions have the
>resources to build such networks.
>
>which is why it is a good idea to have an understanding of the
>network size.  if we go by institutional population we might be
>introducing a major flaw.

I'll try and restate what you said in the first
paragraph.  University A and B each have 10,000 persons.   University
A has the resources to build a network to service these 10,000
persons.  University B does not have the resources to build a network
to service these 10,000 persons.  If I use population count as a
measure I would be giving 50,000 IP addresses to University A and
50,000 IP addresses University B.

University B is using 5,000 IP addresses only and 45,000 IP addresses
are not utilized.  The amount of free IP addresses for the region
reaches a level where I cannot provide IP addresses to University C
which has a population of 5,000 persons.  Somebody points out that
there are 45,000 IP addresses not being utilized at University B.  I
cannot do anything about it.

The questions are:

  (a) Should I fix the non-utilization problem?

  (b) Is it possible for me to fix the non-utilization problem?

Regards,
-sm