[AFRINIC-rpd] Academic IPv4 Allocation Policy Second Draft (AFPUB-2013-GEN-001-DRAFT-02)

SM sm at resistor.net
Fri Jan 25 21:32:04 UTC 2013

Hi Andrew,
At 12:37 25-01-2013, Andrew Alston wrote:
>Aside from which, how many times do I have to say this, *the designs were
>submitted, the documentation was submitted, the proof of purchase was
>submitted, the whole lot*

There are various approaches to network design.  Two networks, each
serving the same number of users, may not necessarily need the same
amount of IP addresses.  If I have to go into the details of
efficient use I would have to review the design.  The question that
comes to my mind are:

   (a) Is it up to me to tell you how you must design your network?

The answer you have given is no.

   (b) Is it up to me to identify whether there is adequate justification
       for the IP addresses requested?

The answer to (b) may be yes.  However, as I do (b) I should avoid
(a).  For example, it is not for me to say that you should use NAT
for part X of your network as it's isolated.  If I understood the
problem correctly it is about finding a middle ground between
adequate justification and stringent justification, and avoiding the
situation where I may be telling you how to design your
network.  This proposal suggests using head count as a measure to
make the request process easier.  The next step would be to find the
acceptable ratio.

Regards,
-sm