[AFRINIC-rpd] Academic IPv4 Allocation Policy Second Draft (AFPUB-2013-GEN-001-DRAFT-02)

Andrew Alston alston.networks at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 20:51:35 UTC 2013

No, I am proposing giving AfriNIC what are already published, documented and
audited figures.

Besides which, tell me this, how do you propose to evaluate the number of
addresses used on a campus WIFI network through a network audit?

The only way to do that is to look at student population count, and this is
where the majority of address space goes.  You cannot say because an
institution has 10 access points, they only need 10 addresses, that is based
on how many people are connected to an AP simultaneously, and that is not
something that can be quantified easily without the human count coming into
it.

Furthermore, if you can explain to me how an institution who is about to
rollout 1200 access points, is going to predict number of concurrent leases
on equipment yet to arrive other than using a fixed multiplier on headcount
on campus, I would love to hear the explanation.  Or, are we meant to roll
out the 1200 access points, wait and see how many people *attempt* to
connect and can't get connectivity, and then apply based on that?

Network designs and networks plans have *VERY* little to do with concurrent
usage on a network, I can have 3 Aps with 700 people connected to them, or
500 aps with 2 users connected to them, but by current methods of
evaluation, I'd have a helluva lot easier time getting space for the latter
case than the former.  This has to change.

Andrew