[AFRINIC-rpd] Academic IPv4 Allocation Policy Second Draft (AFPUB-2013-GEN-001-DRAFT-02)

Andrew Alston alston.networks at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 21:38:52 UTC 2013

Exactly SM,

The head count issue with the ratio is a compromise position to serve both
requirements.  The ratio in question is where the debate is.  As both Sunday
and I have stated, the original ratio was set at 3, it was the community on
this list that seemed to reject that and want it higher, so we raised it to
5.

The number 3 was based on research done across a fairly large cross segment
of campuses and was what we found to be current at this point, I will admit
it does not allow for much growth.  Interesting enough, I have an
institution that has 38 thousand students on it, they currently have a /15
worth of IP space.  That space as of this week is now completely utilized.
Furthermore, the wifi deployment on that campus is far from complete, there
are an additional couple of hundred access points still to be deployed.  So
the maths, they are already running at 4:1.  It was only in the last week
that we had to adjust the lease count for one of the PC labs there because
even though PC's that are not in use are turned off, we ran out of leases
because the labs were full, 1500 machines in there alone 100% utilized.

The 5:1 ratio allows for expansion, it allows for what is becoming a growing
trend.  Africa if I recall has one of the fastest growing rates of wireless
and mobile connectivity in the world (largely driven by lack of physical
infrastructure), with Kenya actually leading this pack.

I am quite happy with a 4:1, or even a 3:1, it would be hellishly tight, but
at least its livable.  But at the same time, I accept the so far expressed
community view that a 5:1 is a better ratio and would more happily support
that.

Andrew