[AFRINIC-rpd] New Policy Proposal: Inter RIR IPv4 Address Transfers (AFPUB-2013-V4-001-DRAFT-01)

Andrew Alston alston.networks at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 11:50:42 UTC 2013

Hi Sunday,

I'm not sure that having gazillions of v4 addresses sitting in a pool that
is incredibly difficult to access encourages anything.  Nor am I sure that
being way behind the curve on v6 deployment because people believe there
will always be v4 addresses available is conducive to investment.  We are
playing catchup on the v6 story, and until we do something about the fact
that we are sitting on ridiculous amounts of v4 resources while the rest of
the world has run out, and make it easier to access those v4 resources so
that pool actually starts decreasing, this will not change.

When the rest of the world has gone v6, and we are still plodding along
trying to make our v4 and our NAT work, believe me, that's the last type of
environment I would want to put infrastructure in, I want to place my
servers and my websites in places where I can get proper v6 connectivity,
and Africa simply isn't that place right now because of all the reasons that
have been detailed in this thread.

Andrew