[AFRINIC-rpd] New Policy Proposal: Inter RIR IPv4 Address Transfers (AFPUB-2013-V4-001-DRAFT-01)

Sunday Folayan sfolayan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 12:03:10 UTC 2013

On 14/01/2013 12:50, Andrew Alston wrote:
> Hi Sunday,
>
> I'm not sure that having gazillions of v4 addresses sitting in a pool that
> is incredibly difficult to access encourages anything.  Nor am I sure that
> being way behind the curve on v6 deployment because people believe there
> will always be v4 addresses available is conducive to investment.  We are
> playing catchup on the v6 story, and until we do something about the fact
> that we are sitting on ridiculous amounts of v4 resources while the rest of
> the world has run out, and make it easier to access those v4 resources so
> that pool actually starts decreasing, this will not change.

We need to ensure that those who should get v4, v6 addresses and ASNs
get them, without going through loops and turns and in good time.
dispensing our pool to all comers is not the best way to be seen to
"doing something about it".

> When the rest of the world has gone v6, and we are still plodding along
> trying to make our v4 and our NAT work, believe me, that's the last type of
> environment I would want to put infrastructure in, I want to place my
> servers and my websites in places where I can get proper v6 connectivity,
> and Africa simply isn't that place right now because of all the reasons that
> have been detailed in this thread.

I am still trying to read the entire thread, but Is there a global
shortage of v6? Being ahead and of excellent development, what is making
the rest of the world have interest in the African v4 pool?

Sunday.