[AFRINIC-rpd] AFPUB-2012-GEN-002-DRAFT-01 (was: Food for thought)

S Moonesamy sm+afrinic at elandsys.com
Thu Nov 1 09:10:04 UTC 2012

Hello,

I am following up on the RPD mailing list as it may be of interest
for the discussion about AFPUB-2012-GEN-002-DRAFT-01.

At 01:25 01-11-2012, Dr Eberhard Lisse wrote:
>And it is not the names or numbers themselves which constitute the
>IP but the *compilation* (thereof), presumably because of the effort
>involved assembling it ("Sweat of the Brow" doctrine, which is used in
>the Commonwealth but not the US, for example).

The above is correct for the European Union.  It's about copyright on
a database (re. compilation of data).

>It might also matter significantly where the IP (database) is
>physically located, not just where AfriNIC is registered...

The above comment seems to be about data protection.  There was a
response from Ashok about this (
https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/rpd/2012/002211.html ).  I didn't
receive a reply for the message at
https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/rpd/2012/002213.html