Fwd: Re: [AfriNIC-rpd] Regional Internet Registry Privacy

sm+afrinic at elandsys.com sm+afrinic at elandsys.com
Fri May 18 12:45:03 UTC 2012

Hi Ernest,
At 05:13 18-05-2012, Ernest - (AfriNIC) wrote:
>A response from Ashok (AfriNIC counsel) follows regarding your inquiry
>quoted below:

Thanks for answering this quickly.  See comments below.

>matter falls to be governed by the Data Protection Act
>2004 which regulates the whole domain of Data protection.I
>have to underline that this Act is limited to data of a
>personal nature.

Is AfriNIC Ltd registered as a "Data Controller" under the Data
Protection Act 2004?

Does the Data Protection Act 2004 have any restriction against
sending data which is of personal nature outside the jurisdiction of
country to another country which does not provide similar protection
for data of a personal nature?

>If the query relates to other kind of data, then this
>comes within the province of the Civil laws of Mauritius
>if the data is retained within the jurisdiction of the
>country. It then becomes an issue of contract e.g in the
>case of data kept within the framework of cloud computing.
>I hope this answers the query. I am at your disposal for
>further clarification if need be.

Is there any specific law(s) for the protection of financial
information, e.g. credit card numbers, bank details, etc.?

Regards,
S. Moonesamy