[AfriNIC-rpd] Definitions of LIR versus End User

Jackson Muthili jacksonmuthi at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 12:58:57 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Andrew Alston <alston.networks at gmail.com>wrote:

> See Badru's post and my response to him.
>
> A University does NOT assign IP's to its students by those definitions.
>  The student has no administrative control over the IP address, the IP
> address is not a permanent assignment, it is a DHCP allocation.  The
> student cannot route the IP address, they cannot choose how they use it,
> there is no registration of an IP address to a student, therefore, no, they
> actually don't assign to students.
>
> By AfriNIC's rules an LIR is responsible for updating the records to
> indicate who they assign to, if you consider a student a customer and
> consider that an LIR assignment, by AfriNIC's rules the university would be
> responsible for registering in the database an IP assignment per student.
>  Good luck with that.

*
*
*Definition of End User does not use this reasoning you put here.*
*
*
*end-users request address space for their internal use in running their
own networks, but not for sub-delegation or reassignment of those addresses
outside their organization.*
*
*
*So, since students are not part of the organization of a university. If
you give their network device IP address, you are no longer End User. Since
no other category exist, you are LIR.*
*
*
*Cheers*