[AfriNIC-rpd] Definitions of LIR versus End User

Andrew Alston alston.networks at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 12:01:03 UTC 2012

See Badru's post and my response to him.

A University does NOT assign IP's to its students by those definitions.
 The student has no administrative control over the IP address, the IP
address is not a permanent assignment, it is a DHCP allocation.  The
student cannot route the IP address, they cannot choose how they use it,
there is no registration of an IP address to a student, therefore, no, they
actually don't assign to students.

By AfriNIC's rules an LIR is responsible for updating the records to
indicate who they assign to, if you consider a student a customer and
consider that an LIR assignment, by AfriNIC's rules the university would be
responsible for registering in the database an IP assignment per student.
 Good luck with that.

Andrew