[AfriNIC-rpd] Definitions of LIR versus End User

Guy Antony Halse G.halse at ru.ac.za
Fri Jul 13 07:07:03 UTC 2012

Hi

On Wed 2012-07-11 (20:12), Seun Ojedeji wrote:
> end-user:
> An end-user is an organization receiving assignments of IP addresses
> exclusively for use in its organization operational networks.

When coupled with the definition of LIR:

> > A Local Internet Registry (LIR) is an IR that receives allocations from
> > an RIR and primarily assigns address space to 'end-users'.  LIRs are
> > generally ISPs.  Their customers are other ISPs and possibly end-users.
> > LIRs must be members of AfriNIC

this creates exactly the sort of ambiguity I referred to previously.

There exists the potential for an organisation that neither uses its IP
assignments *exclusively* for its internal use, nor *primarily* assigns
address space to end-users.  (Note the emphasised words.)  From the
discussions, most universities come to mind.

Ergo (at least some) universities are neither end-users nor LIRs.

Which is why I think that end-user should be !(LIR || RIR).

- Guy
--
Systems Manager, IT Division, Rhodes University, Grahamstown, South Africa
Email: G.Halse at ru.ac.za   Web: http://mombe.org/  IRC: rm-rf at irc.atrum.org