[AfriNIC-rpd] Definitions of LIR versus End User

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 21:26:24 UTC 2012

Hello,

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 8:07 AM, Guy Antony Halse <G.halse at ru.ac.za> wrote:

> Hi
> this creates exactly the sort of ambiguity I referred to previously.
>
> There exists the potential for an organisation that neither uses its IP
> assignments *exclusively* for its internal use,

Such organization will then be referred to as an LIR

nor *primarily* assigns
> address space to end-users.

I would think if an organization does not primarily assign IP to an end
user, then they be referred to as end-users.

>  (Note the emphasised words.)  From the
> discussions, most universities come to mind.
>
> Really i think if we want to apply your explanation then the word end-user
may not be necessary again as in my own opinion, what *most* universities
use their ip block for(which is simply segmenting their network for use in
their faculties and department, in other to aid proper management) apply to
*all* Internet users including those that get assigned IP by an LIR.

Ergo (at least some) universities are neither end-users nor LIRs.

> Yes i agree there can be some universities that provide services beyond
their organization and thereby issuing IP address within their block.
Nevertheless i think this would apply to a few in Africa, as most
university don't even have enough bandwidth for their own use. :-)

Which is why I think that end-user should be !(LIR || RIR). = end-user  ;-)

Cheers!

*Seun Ojedeji,
Federal University Oye-Ekiti
web:      http://www.fuoye.edu.ng