[AfriNIC-rpd] Policy Proposal: End user classification for Universities

Andrew Alston alston.networks at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 20:45:21 UTC 2012

> BZZT!!! But thank you for playing.

I hope I am not responding to troll bait here, but this is so bizarre thats
what it smells like

> A linksys NAT router presents only one Mac address to your equipment.
> Behind that router, you can have up to (IIRC) 1024 devices, each of which
> could be another NAT router if you are desperate.
>
> By this standard, a home user who has PI space and has an AP that gets
compromised, with NAT behind it,  is an LIR, he is providing services.  If
the institution has taken reasonable precautions against multi-user of a
port and the acceptable usage policy prohibits this, and someone violates
the policy, the institution in question is NOT providing services
intentionally, the user is violating the rules, that does NOT make the
institution an LIR.  Sorry, but you can't be made an LIR by someone
breaking the rules, that is some of the most bizarre logic I have ever
heard in my entire life.

> If you are providing network access to people not on your payroll, you are
> an intentional (albeit possibly unaware) LIR. I did not say unintentional,
> I said possibly unaware.
>
> Above comment applies, seriously, I cant even begin to express how bizarre
I find this logic.